Thursday, August 25, 2016

FINAL PUSH

I have done a terrible job of updating since Alabama. It has been a challenging year trying to keep up with the pros and stay mentally strong.  After getting sick in Alabama, I was hoping to turn things around for Beaver Creek.  I felt I needed some additional bike volume, so I took advantage of Scarlett's absence (gone to Wyoming with my parents for 3 weeks), and hit it hard on the bike. 
2nd lap and I'm still smiling - must not have ridden hard enough
In addition to general volume increase, I included a longer mountain bike race (Intermountain Cup Endurance Series - Wasatch Back). That was the longest mountain bike race I've ever done (42 miles). It was challenging, but a good experience.  The Pivot Mach429SL was amazing on this course.  It was pretty rocky, and I was able to maintain speed up/down without ever feeling beat up by the trail. I ended up 4th overall in the Expert Category.  Meanwhile Steph was off to the Pacific Northwest racing Duathlon Nationals, where she placed 4th in her age group, securing a spot to ITU Worlds in Canada 2017. I'm really hoping I get to join her in racing up there (Cross Triathlon for me).
Steph on yet another podium
Next up was Beaver Creek.  I was focused on doing well at this race since last year, so Steph and I went out over the 4th of July weekend and spent some time on the bike/run course and got to swim at the Westin where my coach (and world champion) trains.  It was good get away for the long weekend and get in some quality training.  Love the Avon area. Thanks to Kris & Nicole for letting us stay in their home. And thanks to Josiah & Ingrid for letting us tag along for the 4th of July festivities. 

2nd day on the bike - killer trails and great company

Post Late Night-Lazy Morning-Long Swim
The race itself didn't go exactly as I had hoped.  I think I overcooked some taper intervals or something, but I felt really tired/fatigued the day before. And although I got good sleep the nights leading up to the race, never felt rested.  On race day, I was hoping the fatigue was behind me, but the minute the swim started, I knew I was in trouble.  I lost touch with Josiah's group early in the first lap, and never recovered.  Going up the Elkhorn trail I was caught by the faster amateurs and struggled to catch a couple pro women that passed me in the swim.  On the Arrowhead descent, I was feeling a little better, and started to reel in a couple guys. But, just as my confidence was building, I crashed on Village-Village, and subsequently flatted just before Alley's Way. Basically survived the rest of the race, and came in about 8 minutes slower than last year.
 
I guess it's common for me to smile while suffering?

It was definitely humbling and I was happy to take a break.  Took two weeks easy, including a great trip to New York to visit Steph's parents.  It was super hot, but we still made our way around the city, fit in some beach time, and saw some sights that we didn't get to over Christmas.



Since then, we've done a couple midweek mountain bike races - got to eat Peter Sagan's dust, and made the annual trek to McCall Idaho for Xterra Wild Ride.  After nearly a decade of doing this race (off and on), I finally won. I had a few issues (jammed wetsuit/wrong turn into transition off the bike/wrong turn in the run), but was able to outrun Kevin Donovan for the win. I love the venue, and the course/people are fantastic. 

I was super grateful that I got to spend it with Steph (and of course Scarlett).  But, this race indicated that we've been together for 1 year. Time flies when you're having fun, right? Crazy to think that last year I was texting her from this race while she did a half in Utah. Little did I know how much awesomeness was in store for us. I'm just so happy that we get to enjoy this sport together and as a family. More importantly I'm happy that I have such a killer family that loves adventure.

    



And now for the final push.  We are racing a small road triathlon in my hometown (Rock Springs, WY) this weekend and then it's on to Xterra Pan American Championships, and Steph will continue on to Xterra Worlds.  I am looking forward to taking a little longer break this fall and helping Steph prepare for worlds, hanging with the munchkin, and doing some much needed work on our new house.
 
Lastly, I need to thank all my sponsors. Maybe I've had a rough year, but my equipment has been on point:
 
Pivot: Thank you for the best mountain bike I've ever ridden
Go-Ride: Thanks for always keeping my gear running smooth
Stages: Thank you for your awesome power meters that help me achieve the highest quality training possible
Optic Nerve: Your sunglasses are killer - great fit and lens options for all conditions
Salomon: My feet have been happy in your shoes since 2005
Suunto: Sweet stylish watches that also assist in providing me quality metrics in training/racing. 
Togs: My thumb is no longer lonely on top of the bar. No cramping and better leverage on climbs.
TriSports: Best supplier of triathlon gear at great prices.
dmaries: Web portal for Nutrilite Sports Nutrition. Great products for before/during/post exercise.

No comments: