Monday, August 10, 2015

XTERRA MOUNTAIN CHAMPIONSHIP

This is a way delayed, so I will keep it shorter than previous entries (this will be difficult, as I am a detail oriented engineer and am compelled to explain things thoroughly at all times).  As the Xterra races switch to the big mountain races (lots of climbing, less technical, high elevation), my training had to adapt.  Prior to Beaver Creek (Mountain Championship) I spent some time at higher elevation, and training involved lots of sustained climbing and hill intervals. I have always been a pretty good climber on the bike (sustained), but never realized how much fitness was required to sustain race efforts on these courses and still be able to finish strong in the run.  I guess this could explain my mediocre performances at Nationals/Worlds in previous years.  Luckily, as I have mentioned many times, Josiah is a master and got me dialed.
I'm collecting a lot of these this year

After two top 10 overall amateur at my first two Regional Championships (Vegas, Alabama) and podiums at both, I wanted to try to improve on that.  As mentioned above, I like long sustained climbs over the short steep variety.  I was hoping this preference would suit me in Beaver Creek.  I went and scoped out the bike/run course over the 4th of July weekend.  I discovered quickly that not only was the climbing sustained, but it was also quite steep. This was the case on the bike and run. Despite that, I was feeling confident in my abilities.

I identified 4 competitors that I knew for a fact would be challenging competition.  Josh Merrick (finished behind him in Vegas), Bryce Phinney (finished behind him in Vegas and Curt Gowdy), Andrew Knutsen (new his abilities from my 2014 season), and Jeff Sabatka (finished behind him in Vegas).  Maybe I should be a psychic, because they didn't disappoint and pushed me to my limits.  There were a few other's in the mix (i.e., Kris Ochs, Stephen White, and James Ellis) that contributed to my suffer fest.  Here's the breakdown:

Swim:
After a great high elevation swim at Curt Gowdy, I was confident I'd do well here.  But, something in my body rejected my initial sprint effort (despite a favorable warm-up).  I made it to the first buoy with 1 other person in the amateur start, but quickly had to dial it back a few notches.  I think after the first lap I was close to 8th.  I slowly worked my way back into the top 5 and exited the water 4th.  I knew Phinney was probably out ahead of me, but was disappointed to see Merrick enter transition as I was buckling my helmet. 4th amateur/17th overall.

Bike:
I passed 2nd and 3rd on the bike path and started my pursuit of Phinney.  As I was approaching the Elkhorn trail switchbacks I noticed Merrick gaining ground.  I figured I could hang with him on the pavement climb, but he had other plans.  He opened a gap near the exit onto the pavement, and I never closed it.  I saw him catch Phinney on Daybreak Ridge, then I only saw them once in a clearing on Village to Village, then I didn't see anyone until the last mile or so before transition.  Stephen White caught and passed me before Corkscrew and Kris Ochs entered transition right behind me.  Not my best bike split, but I promise to get better. 10th amateur/22nd overall




Run:
I closed the gap to White and passed him up the first climb.  Sabatka passed me like I was standing still, and near the top of the climb I was passed by Knutsen.  Ochs and White and I ran down the access road and as Ochs pulled away into the single track I followed him.  We started the second climb and I left Ochs in pursuit of Knutsen.  I started to close, but my body said no, so I slowed a little before the descent.  I figured Ochs would catch me, and I used him to pace me down the hill.  Coming back within site of the finish I didn't know what I had left, but I attacked and made it to the single track ahead of him.  His cheerleaders were yelling at him to chase me down and luckily I had just enough to cross the line 6 seconds ahead of him.  15th amateur/34th overall.

Start of the run - I might have been thinking of an exit strategy at this point

Too tired to remove my own timing chip, thanks to the gentleman behind me (Kris Ochs).
 

Final Result:
I ended up 5th overall amateur/3rd age group/22nd overall.  This ended up my best overall amateur finish of the season. Although I was back to 3rd in my age group I was thrilled to have been able to improve on my overall standing. This is also good news for nationals, since the course is similar, yet I feel it suits my abilities even more.  I am making a pit stop in McCall Idaho in two weeks for Xterra Wild Ride, which is one of my favorite venues of all time.  Then completing preparation for nationals followed by worlds in Maui.

30-34 Age Group Podium - Scarlett covering up with my 3rd Maui qualification certificate
 

Other News:
Brianna, the girl whom I am trying to help has started chemo.  Prior to starting her treatments she got an MRI and it luckily showed no additional growth.  She finished her first session of chemo and will be back to Salt Lake next week to start her next.  Please don't forget to donate if you can, or share the link with friends/family.  Any help is appreciated.


Scarlett raced in her first running race.  She had a blast and is very excited for her next event.



Scarlett prepared for her first official running race.

1 comment:

Jukka Valkonen said...

You're a stud. Love the report. Keep getting stronger and wiser!