Friday, May 22, 2015

RACE REPORT - XTERRA SOUTHEAST CHAMPIONSHIP/USAT OFF-ROAD TRI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

My next stop this season was Pelham, Alabama for the Xterra Southeast Championship.  As an amateur, we must qualify for Xterra National Championships and the various World Championships (Xterra, ITU). This race offered an opportunity to test my skills against some new competition and qualify for the 2016 ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships.

IMBA epic trails at Oak Mountain State Park were pretty sweet!!

BEFORE THE RACE:

Having never done this race, I was happy to arrive in time Thursday to pre-ride the course.  I was impressed with the beauty of the park and the trails were definitely some of the most fun I've ridden in a long time.  Not as much climbing as the mountains here in Utah, but much more technical, and I knew that at race pace it would be even more challenging. 

During pre-ride, my chain kept hopping and after I inspected it, I noticed I had a couple links that appeared to have been damaged in transport.  Not because of the sweet case on loan to me by Go-Ride, but because I didn't secure my chain well while packing.  In any case, the guys at Cahaba Cycles got me sorted out.  My Pivot Cycles Mach 429SL continues to impress me (even on the challenging Blood Rock section where a lot of people had mishaps) and I felt empowered to push the limits on every part of this course.

I didn't run the course, but unlike Vegas I at least rode 1 lap so that I wasn't caught off guard by any inconsistencies in the reported vs. actual distance.  I only brought my Salomon Sense 4 Ultra's, and they seemed to be the appropriate shoe for this course.  Mostly flat with a few short steep kickers.  It seemed to be a course better suited for me than Vegas.

Sitting at the pre-race dinner with Josiah & Yaro Middaugh, Brad Zoller and Stephen Lohr, the menacing clouds unleashed a wall of water outside and we all knew the course was going to offer new challenges.  I had felt confident during my pre-ride sessions, but it has been a while since I experienced wet roots/bridges/rocks.  It was starting to seem a bit similar to my experience at the 2015 ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships in Zittau, Germany (see the "PHOTOS" page).  Luckily the soil here seemed capable of handling the short intense burst of rain as my pre-ride revealed the trails were a bit dry - I remained hopeful for good race day conditions.


RACE DAY:

Driving to the park, my rental car tuned to satellite radio station "Hair Nation" provided a sweet playlist of hits that got me amped to race.  I was ready to throw down.
One of the few stellar tracks I rocked
out to on the way to the race
The previous day there was some debate as to the allowance of wetsuits for the amateurs.  During my pre-swim, I felt that it was way too warm for them, but was told by Josiah that if allowed take advantage.  Well, the final ruling was no wetsuit.  Sadly, I left my speed-suit at home, and was prepared to swim in my tri-suit.  Luckily a very kind woman, Ellen Sauter, overheard my dilemma as I was talking with Josiah, and offered up a spare for me to use.  It fit, and I am very grateful.  Finishing up body marking, retrieving my timing chip and dialing in my transition, I was ready to go.

Swim:

I got in a good warm-up, but only knowing names of my competition and not faces, I didn't know who to follow.  As the mini canon went off, I sprinted hard and noticed that a large group of people were way off to my right and seemingly taking a wide line to the first buoy.  I held my ground and didn't have anyone in front of me until the second lap.  I drafted off someone a bit and then decided I needed to go faster and passed him before the first buoy.  I then started to make my way through the pro women's field and some of the AG women on their first lap. I came out of the water and ran to transition.  I didn't know exactly where I was, but knew I was in the top 5 (amateur).  Swim results: 2nd AG/4th Amateur/16th overall.

Bike:

Heading out on the bike I was feeling strong and ready to attack the course.  I had a bit of a slow transition, but quickly caught up to James Haycraft, Anthony Snoble and Greg Schott.  I think at this point only one person, Cole Bunn, was up the trail, and I would never see him all day.  In the woods I was happy with my choice to go with the clear lense on my Smith Pivlock V2 Max. James was riding very strong and attacking through corners and uphills. Anthony slid out on a wet bridge and clipped my front wheel.  I went down landing on my right hamstring on the edge of the bridge.  I got back on quick, but James and Greg had gapped us (Anthony had a very crooked saddle and I think he stopped to adjust since the bang method wasn't working).  I rode hard to bridge the gap and was able to do so on the first fire road section.  We were passing Emma and she unfortunately slid out on a root.  I got gapped again, and maintained the gap until the long fire road climb.  I bridged up and we slowly dropped Greg.  James was very strong and I was having a hard time holding his wheel.  All of a sudden Chris Edmonds came by and I grabbed his wheel and James slowly caught on.  Then Chris threw down a massive attack, and I attempted to follow.  We crested the climb and soon dropped into the Bump section.  Caught Lesley, and in an attempt to pass I slid out and almost took her down, but James made it by.  After successfully passing Lesley I cleared Blood Rock and was able to catch James again since he cyclo-crossed it.  After crossing the road, my race began to unravel.  I had been using quads to compensate for my cramping hamstring and it took its toll.  The windy last section of the course was tough because I was having trouble accelerating out of turns, up little rises, etc.  Greg caught me and then a couple other guys caught me.  I limped into T2 feeling a bit defeated, but had to shut up the voices indicating giving up was an option. Bike results: 2nd AG/10th Amateur/19th overall.

Run:

Not much to say about the run.  I suffered, and got passed by the eventual winner Daryl Weaver (congrats to him) and Justin McMurrrer (near the end).  I was honestly happy to not completely come undone, and was very grateful to be done. I didn't really need my Tri Sports visor, but as my hair continues to increase in bulk, I figured it was better than using one of my daughters headbands. Run results: 4th AG/29th Amateur/48th overall (ouch!!!)


Final Results and Post Race Festivities:

All things considered I am content with my performance.  I battled through some slight physical and mental adversity (compared to some other competitors, I was very much unscathed), and although things could have been better, they certainly could have been a lot worse.  Result: 2nd AG/9th Amateur/19th overall.
30-34 AG Podium
It was great to hang with friends at the Margarita Grill after the race.  Made some great new friends, and was lucky to meet up with some of the crew from Germany last summer.  With everything I have going on (training/racing/summer planning for the kiddo/etc) I haven't been able to relax much lately, so I took advantage.  I had a great time, but needed sleep too since I had to get up at 3:45 am to catch my plane home.

GETTING HOME:

I had no idea the journey home would be so complicated.  I got up on time, successfully dropped off the car and made it through the surprisingly long line at security.  Saw Josiah at the gate, boarded the plane and passed out on the way to Houston.  I was a through passenger, on my way to Phoenix, so I didn't de-board.  All seemed to be going ok, but was quickly reminded about the weather affecting Texas, Oklahoma, and neighboring states.  We were delayed by 1.5 hours, and I landed in Phoenix just in time to see my connecting flight leave the gate.  So I was booked on the late flight out, and added to the standby list for the 2 earlier flights.  I missed the first one after spending a solid 2 hours in the airport.  So, I settled in for the long haul, 4 more hours till the next opportunity. 

Airport delay coping tool
Luckily I beat out 2 couples on the 5:45 flight and walked in the door around 9 pm.  Loooooong day, and I was so happy to be in my own bed.  This week is a recovery/volume week, and then I start preparing for the next big goal - Xterra Mountain Championship with a small prep race in Wyoming. 

Stay tuned for additional photos of my event in Alabama.

Thanks again to all my sponsors and supporters. Can't do what I do without y'all.

No comments: